Monday, February 23, 2009

BRETT FAVRE AND ESPN GO TOGETHER LIKE...

Well, a lot of people have a lot of different opinions on how to finish that sentence. But this morning, USA Today's Michael Hiestand reported that Favre may be first in line to fill the void created by the firing of Emmitt Smith. The Press-Gazette simply relayed a report of the story. Others have given their opinions. Aaron at Cheesehead TV feels pretty strongly about Brett not taking up this offer.

"Brett, for the love of all that is HOLY, don’t go work for ESPN. You are Brett Favre. Brett freekin’ Favre! You’re not a talking head. You’re not a studio analyst. You are BRETT FAVRE. I mean, could you imagine Bart Starr on ESPN? I didn’t think so.

This would be like Harrison Ford deciding to take a supporting role in a Judd Apatow film. Talk about destroying your legacy… (And yes, Ford has already destroyed his. Hollywood Homicide anyone? For the love of GOD Brett, don’t go down that road!)"

People in Chicago feel a little different, suprisingly. Will Brinson, at MouthpieceSports.com, starts by apologizing for talking about Brett again, saying he is "played out." However, he goes on to admit that Favre is "charming" and offers "praise [to ESPN] if they make this move." He also states quite honestly and truthfully, "he would be replacing Emitt Smith. Which means that it's illiterately impossible to set the bar any lower for on-camera journalism."

I would love to get to see more Brett every Sunday, albeit not on the football field (especially not in a Vikings uniform). I've finally come to the realization that I will just never see the SAME Brett Favre on Sundays, and the pain I felt at the end of the 2008 season never needs to be experienced again. I hope Brett at least considers the offer, although former teammate Don Beebe said last year he didn't think he would. However, I don't think I've ever seen Favre any more dressed up than on the cover of this issue of Men's Journal, and him in a suit may be a strange site. Don't forget, during his Packers retirement press conference, he said "Here I am. I thought about wearin' a suit. I thought about shavin'. But what you see is what you get." I don't know how the powers that be at ESPN would feel about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
This is my first true sports writing venture, and I hope to one day be one of the most read blogs about the Green Bay Packers. Knowing how die hard Packers fans are, I hope to create a place where they can get the news about their favorite team on a daily basis, while also commenting and starting discussions on their own. While also commenting on news stories about the team, I hope to be able to give some opinion on possible moves the team should make (ie free agents, draft) and anything else that I feel necessary about the green and gold.

Followers