Tuesday, April 7, 2009

THE LAMBEAU LEAP IS SO SWEET IT WAS TURNED INTO A SONG

While many Packer fans probably knew about CWA, some other music that has come from Titletown went a little bit less noticed. Well, at least as far as I can tell. Remember Robert Brooks? Yeah, thought so. Number 87 was a great receiver for the Pack from 1992-1998, and after tearing his ACL in the Super Bowl championship season of 1996, he came back to help lead the team to Super Bowl XXXII and received the Comeback Player of the Year award. Injuries ended his career after a short try at a comeback with the Denver Broncos in 2000, but Brooks caught 32 of Brett Favre's career TD passes, and the following stat stands out even more to me: The Packers were 24-2 in games in which Favre threw a TD to Brooks. That is outstanding, and it proves how important he was to the Pack's return to prominance in the 1990's. But what is often forgotten, maybe rightfully so, was his music career while with the green and gold.

Ah, this may strike up a memory in some minds, but others may be thinking, "What? Robert Brooks' music career?" Again, on one of our many family trips to Green Bay, my cousin asked me if I had heard Robert Brooks' song "Jump." Being from New York, of course I hadn't, the same way I had never heard Cheeseheads With Attitude until a family vacation. So he put the tape in (yes, the cassette tape) and I listened. Back then, I thought it was awesome. Robert Brooks had made a song about the Lambeau Leap! Looking at it now, my god, what was he thinking? He created a record label "Shoo-In 4 Life" and produced two CDs called "Jump" and "Down Wit' Tha Bay." Brooks explains his musical pursuits on his official website, which clearly has not been updated in years.

Please, I beg you to take the time out of your day to watch the music video Brooks made for "Jump."

1 comment:

  1. they should have sent the crybaby to the lions

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
This is my first true sports writing venture, and I hope to one day be one of the most read blogs about the Green Bay Packers. Knowing how die hard Packers fans are, I hope to create a place where they can get the news about their favorite team on a daily basis, while also commenting and starting discussions on their own. While also commenting on news stories about the team, I hope to be able to give some opinion on possible moves the team should make (ie free agents, draft) and anything else that I feel necessary about the green and gold.

Followers