Thursday, January 29, 2009

A LITTLE BIT ABOUT ME

Alright well I guess I should start by giving everybody a little bit of a background about myself. I was born and have lived my entire life in the Empire State (New York). This would seem to lead to the simple question, "Why are you writing about the Green Bay Packers?" Lambeau Field is nearly 1100 miles from the house I grew up in, and NFL ticket was non-existent to my family and I. Yet, I have always been in awe of the green and gold, their history, and the city of Green Bay my entire life. My mother was born in Green Bay and grew up in the state of Wisconsin, although closer to Milwaukee. My father grew up on Long Island but was in middle school and high school during the dominant years of Lombardi's Packers, so he always rooted for the them. Season tickets have been in our family for over four decades (I'm not sure of the exact length, but that shouldn't quite matter to you once you hear that my grandparents were at the Ice Bowl). I mean, honestly, how many people can say they knew someone who was at the Ice Bowl? Well I guess maybe in Wisconsin the number of people who can is a bit higher, but I've grown up in New York and have been able to tell people this my entire life; and people have always been amazed, as am I. When I was younger we would take at least one yearly trip to Titletown and stay with family that lived in the suburbs, and I will admit that I developed a "man crush" towards the Pack. My first pair of eyeglasses (in the 2nd grade) was picked out not by my parents, nor did I take much of their opinion in the matter. I picked a pair that resembled nearly exactly those of then Packers head coach Mike Holmgren:
I idolized Brett Favre. I played quarterback in middle school and high school, and basically on every single pass I tried to show how hard I could throw the ball (and nearly every time was throwing off of the wrong foot, much to my coach's chagrin). It didn't always work out so well that way for me but, hey, if he could do it, I would try it. A cousin of mine lived around the corner from Brett's house in Green Bay, and I still to this day am in awe of this fact. It was a basic ranch house on a regular street corner. No gated community, no big mansion, and although it is well known he spends most of his time back near home in Mississippi, living like that in Green Bay reflected very much so the Wrangler Jeans commercial stereotype of Brett. When the Packers lost to the Giants in the 2008 NFC Championship game, I cried myself to sleep. The day he initially announced his retirement, I stayed home all day and wept. I never got to see him play in person until the day he broke John Elway's all-time wins record at Giant Stadium, and boy am I glad I traveled to that game.

In my blog I hope to follow most news stories surrounding the team, and also give some opinion on different ideas and issues. I also hope to include some fun tidbits every now and then, helping fans reminisce through the wonderful history of the Green Bay Packers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
This is my first true sports writing venture, and I hope to one day be one of the most read blogs about the Green Bay Packers. Knowing how die hard Packers fans are, I hope to create a place where they can get the news about their favorite team on a daily basis, while also commenting and starting discussions on their own. While also commenting on news stories about the team, I hope to be able to give some opinion on possible moves the team should make (ie free agents, draft) and anything else that I feel necessary about the green and gold.

Followers