Tuesday, March 24, 2009

MORE DRAFT SPECULATION... AND DISAGREEMENT ON MY PART

This morning as I was going through my usual set of Packers links, I realized that on ESPN they had two videos projecting who the Packers would take at the number nine overall pick in the draft next month. While they are between a week and two old, I will say now that I just can't agree with either choice that Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal or Todd McShay of ESPN projects for the team.

First, Wilde was being interviewed for ESPN's First Take and projected Malcolm Jenkins, the cornerback from Ohio State. A few months ago, I could have agreed with this pick. Currently, not so much. Cornerback, if you find a good one, is not that difficult of a position to transition into the NFL at. Especially not as hard as other ones such as offensive tackle, defensive line, and someone trying to learn outside linebacker in the 3-4. These other positions have a big adjustment either due to a change in size and speed of their opponents and completely learning a new position in a new system. Corners don't seem to have such a hard time adjusting in the pros. Al Harris and Charles Woodson still each had good years in 2008, and while I know they are getting old, they proved they can still play, and the corner position can be put on the backburner either until later in the draft or next year. That is why I find it hard to believe that the Pack will take Jenkins at number nine, especially if, as the mock draft that Wilde participated in shows (above), B.J. Raji and Everette Brown are still on the board. Also, Michael Oher, while this mock draft has him already taken, has moved onto the Packers radar as an offensive tackle and he will get the chance this Thursday to prove himself to be a top ten pick at Mississippi's pro day.


Todd McShay disagrees with Wilde. He has the Packers leaning towards my defensive front seven and offensive tackle needs, but he decides to go with Aaron Maybin of Penn State. While his stock was very high during his last season at PSU, his combine wasn't very impressive, and that has dropped his stock on many draft boards. I like that McShay didn't put too much of his own stock into the combine here by still projecting Maybin at number nine, because I agree that the combine has come to be blown out of proportion. However, I see Everette Brown's size advantage over Maybin to aid in his switch to outside linebacker in the 3-4. Also, McShay has Michael Oher still on the board here at number nine, and if he can have a good pro day on Thursday, he can prove himself worthy of the Packers pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
This is my first true sports writing venture, and I hope to one day be one of the most read blogs about the Green Bay Packers. Knowing how die hard Packers fans are, I hope to create a place where they can get the news about their favorite team on a daily basis, while also commenting and starting discussions on their own. While also commenting on news stories about the team, I hope to be able to give some opinion on possible moves the team should make (ie free agents, draft) and anything else that I feel necessary about the green and gold.

Followers