Tuesday, March 24, 2009

WILLIE DAVIS AND THREE IN A ROW

Cheesehead TV has been putting up videos that they shot during Fan Fest a couple weeks ago, and many have been interesting. Today's brought back some childhood memories, and it also linked to something very interesting that I had never heard before.

As I've stated before, my love for the Packers, both now and when I was very young, is immeasurable. Especially for a kid who has never lived any closer than 875 or so miles from Green Bay (and I've only been that close for college). I had a video that I watched religiously called "Three In A Row" about the Packers teams in 1965, 1966, and 1967. What type of little kid has two thumbs and would care so much about a team that was more than 30 years ago? ::Picture me pointing both thumbs toward myself:: This guy! The likes of Bart Starr, Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Ray Nitschke, Herb Adderly, and Willie Davis were commonplace to me as a five year old. And today's video that CTV posted features Willie Davis. Clearly he is a Packer legend, and CTV mentions that he was the only guest speaker to receive a standing ovation. They also link to an archived section of letters to Lee Remmel, the famed and now retired 62-year employee of the Pack, who mentioned a member of the Professional Football Researchers Association said this of Davis' time with the green and gold, which occurred before sacks were an official statistic: "... Research indicates Davis had in excess of 100 sacks during his 10-year Green Bay career (1960-69), 'possibly more than 120,' including a minimum of 40 over the 1963-65 seasons alone." Also, Davis himself says that Paul Hornung reminded him that he had 25, yes twenty five, sacks in one season.

Wow. Standing ovation for Davis from 875 miles away for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
This is my first true sports writing venture, and I hope to one day be one of the most read blogs about the Green Bay Packers. Knowing how die hard Packers fans are, I hope to create a place where they can get the news about their favorite team on a daily basis, while also commenting and starting discussions on their own. While also commenting on news stories about the team, I hope to be able to give some opinion on possible moves the team should make (ie free agents, draft) and anything else that I feel necessary about the green and gold.

Followers