Monday, February 9, 2009

PRO BOWL

I don't remember the last time I actually watched a Pro Bowl. Not that I really watch the NBA or MLB All-Star games either. There was a period of time where the All-Star games were so important to a sport. Usually, that was because it was the only time that fans got to see certain players (TV, the internet, and the increase in number of franchises in each sport has dramatically changed that). They're just not interesting anymore. They used to be competitive games where the players really fought to show who was the best. Now they've become just another situation for front office people to worry about the players they have invested millions of dollars in getting injured. So, I'm not ashamed to admit I didn't watch the Pro Bowl yesterday. Instead, I spent six hours in a car.

Al Harris and Nick Collins were the only representatives of the Packers in the game, and they each did well. The Journal Sentinel's Greg A. Bedard did an interview with Nick about his first pro bowl experience. Collins recorded one tackle while on defense, and two as a special-teamer (maybe we should send him on coverage and he should do that for us next year since our Special Teams finished 26th in the league in 2008). Harris had three tackles and knocked away a pass intended for Denver's Brandon Marshall in the end zone that saved a touchdown (pictured above). And don't forget Charles Woodson was elected, but decided against playing. It's interesting to see three players from a below average defense get recognized for such good individual seasons, yet their unit as a whole struggled so much. Congratulations to these three for having the types of seasons they did, and maybe some day All-Star games can get their swagger back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
This is my first true sports writing venture, and I hope to one day be one of the most read blogs about the Green Bay Packers. Knowing how die hard Packers fans are, I hope to create a place where they can get the news about their favorite team on a daily basis, while also commenting and starting discussions on their own. While also commenting on news stories about the team, I hope to be able to give some opinion on possible moves the team should make (ie free agents, draft) and anything else that I feel necessary about the green and gold.

Followers