Wednesday, February 11, 2009

BRETT FAVRE IS RETIRING.... AGAIN

The obvious big news of today is that ESPN's Ed Werder and Chris Mortensen are reporting that Brett Favre is retiring, this time minus the press conference. They're reporting that Brett has asked his agent, Bus Cook, to notify the Jets organization. He indicated in his e-mail to Werder that he had no regrets finishing his NFL career with the Jets, and not in Green Bay. That hurts Brett. Green Bay LOVED you. I was there for your last game as a Jet vs the Dolphins; most of New York hated you. All I heard was the crowd yelling and criticizing and telling you to retire; and you have no regrets? Honestly, I find that hard to believe.

"My time with the Jets was short, but I'm honored to be given that chance.'' He could have walked away after the 2007 season, on a high pedestal, and being remembered for the amazing comeback season he had. But he passed that opportunity up, played for a much inferior offense in 2008, and did not play nearly as well in 2008. And you don't regret all of the uproar that has resulted in Green Bay, a city that LOVED you? Hard to believe Brett.

Favre told Werder he felt "exiled" to the Jets by the Packers organization, and one of his main motivations to play in 2008 was to show Ted Thompson, who Favre believes took his Packers team away from him, that he could still play. And he later admitted that sometimes he was playing for the wrong reasons. Favre also admits he sometimes wondered if he had made a "terrible mistake" in returning and leaving the Packers for another team.

So Brett has gotten what he wanted: "I'm an emotional guy, and I'm sure people are tired of seeing me get emotional... People would probably say, 'Oh, here he goes again.'" No press conference, just personally informing the Jets that he would not return for an 18th NFL season. As much as I have argued that the Packers moving on worked out well for the team, it hurt to see Brett anywhere else. Especially when all of the blame began to fall on him for a teams struggles while its defense collapsed and plays stopped being drawn up for their playmakers.

As I've said before...
I idolized Brett Favre. I played quarterback in middle school and high school, and basically on every single pass I tried to show how hard I could throw the ball (and nearly every time was throwing off of the wrong foot, much to my coach's chagrin). It didn't always work out so well that way for me but, hey, if he could do it, I would try it.
I grew up loving Brett, and I still loved him through it all. It's sad to see him go, but I finally realized after the 2007 season, he could not play forever. I hope that Brett and the Packers organization can make amends so when it comes time to retire his jersey, it will be a night honoring a legend, not an awkward night where an uncomfortable tension hangs over all heads involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
This is my first true sports writing venture, and I hope to one day be one of the most read blogs about the Green Bay Packers. Knowing how die hard Packers fans are, I hope to create a place where they can get the news about their favorite team on a daily basis, while also commenting and starting discussions on their own. While also commenting on news stories about the team, I hope to be able to give some opinion on possible moves the team should make (ie free agents, draft) and anything else that I feel necessary about the green and gold.

Followers